Is It a Function? Game
The object of this lesson is to allow students to recognize functions and
give their equations.
Students are divided into groups of 4 and then 2 groups of 2.
1. Group 1 makes up a rule for f(x).
2. Group 2 gives values of x, one at a time.
3. Group 1 answers with the value of f(x) by substituting into their rule.
4. Group 2 keeps a record of the values in a table.
5. Continue steps 2 - 4 until group 2 can guess the rule.
6. Decide as a team whether the rule constitutes a function.
7. Reverse roles and try again.