Warm Up Activity:
A farmer left a will dividing his 400 acres of land among
his five sons. It stipulates:
- my oldest son receives 200 acres
- my second son receives 100 acres
- my third son receives 50 acres
- my youngest sons, twins, shall have 25 acres each.
Further, each parcel must be of the same shape and contain
a house. How must the estate be divided?
- Students will work in groups cooperatively on area
- Students may start to work on critical thinking problems
that should be completed at home.
- Before the end of class, the teacher should lead a discussion
of differences in answers and in the measuring methods. The class should
also discuss when it is appropriate to round numbers up.